The Lumberjacks were established in the second wave of the Prigus Eastern growth period. With all the free open land, and rivers running through Knoxville, the league thought it would be a good fit for a team. The Lumberjacks' name came from the history of the town's industry around 1932. The lumber industry back then was a major source of employment for the town and is still is a bustling business in Knoxville today. Trees were cut down up north and the rivers were used to transport the lumber to the factories. It was like a lumber highway at the peak of the season. There would be festivals scheduled in neighboring towns around the rivers edge to watch the lumber travel south. The meat of the festivals would be centered around the strongmen contests and the annual log boom run in the rivers. The Lumberjacks play in the Pickel Island Tree Farm Stadium with the French Broad River surrounding it.